It is mandatory to obtain a business license from the Sunyani Municipal Assembly (SMA) if you want to establish a business in the municipality. Any person who sets up a business to operate either within the limits of the city or outside the city is obligated to apply for a Business License by law. This license expires on 31st December of each year and must be renewed yearly at a fee.
This Revenue Unit of the Municipal Assembly is in charge of fees. Our hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8 AM to 5PM. For more information do contact the revenue office of the municipal assembly.
PROCESSES TO OBTAIN A BUSINESS OPERATING PERMIT FROM THE SUNYANI MUNICIPAL ASSEMBLY
- Write an application or introductory letter to the Metropolitan Chief Executive stating the Name of Business, Type of Business and Location of Business.
- Add all relevant documents (Certificate to Commence Business, Certificate of incorporation etc .if any)
- Cross check of the relevant documents with the Registrar General Department and other issuing authority like the Bank of Ghana for financial institutions.
- Inspection of office premises if necessary.
- A bill is generated and served on the applicant with reference to the Local Government Act (Act 462) sections 34, 78, 94, 98 and also in accordance with the Fee Fixing Resolution of the Sunyani Municipal Assembly depending on the type and location of the business.
- A Receipt and a Certificate are issued after payment.
- The Certificate is renewable yearly.
APPLY FOR A BUSINESS LICENSE
The Sunyani Municipal Assembly requires that anyone or organization intending to carry on a business or profession as a whole should first endeavour to apply for an Operating Licence to make legal the existence of the business. Applications for this licence is done at the Revenue office of the Municipality as indicated earlier.
BUSINESS CHANGES & CLOSURES
Also any change of name of business or closure of business should also be communicated to the same outfit so that we can update our records for future decisions. Please note that an operating licence is not transferable. Transfer of ownership is considered termination of licence agreement. Also, a new business cannot use the licence of an old business.
BUSINESS LICENSE RENEWALS
Businesses in the Municipality must renew their Business Operating Permits Licenses every December 31st. The renewal can be done using the same procedure you passed through in applying for the operating License.
MODE OF PAYMENT
- BANKERS DRAFT
- PAYMENT ORDER
- CHEQUE FROM GOOD AND LOYAL RATE PAYERS