Mr. Dominic Yaw Oppong
Municipal Physical Planning Officer
The Physical Planning office prepares planning and revision schemes for the Assembly and Zonal Councils. It also helps in controlling physical development and the processing of development permit applications. It advices management and citizenry on spatial and economic related planning issues..
The Department is also responsible for
- Advising the Assembly on national policies on physical planning, land use and development;
- Co-ordinating activities and projects of departments and other agencies induding Non-Governmental Organisations to ensure compliance with planning standards;
- Assisting in the preparation of physical plans as a guide for the formulation of development policies and decisions and to design projects in the municipality;
- Assisting ib identifing problems concerning the development of land and its social, environmental and economic implications;
- Advising on setting out approved plans for future development of land at the municipal level;
- Advising on preparation of structures for towns and village within the municipality;
- Facilitating and participating in research into planning in the municipality;
- Offering professional advice to aggrieved persons on appeals and petitions on decisions made on their building;
- Facilitating consultation, co-ordination and harmonization of developmental decisions into a physical development plan;
- Assisting in preparing a Land-Use Plan to guide activities in the municipality;
- Advising on the conditions for the construction of public and private buildings and structures;
- Providing the layout for buildings for improved housing layout and settlement;
- Ensuring the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless building plans submitted have been approved by the Assembly;
- Advising and facilitating the demolition of dilapidated buildings and recovery of expenses incurred in connection with the demolition;
- Ensuring the prohibition of the use of inflammable materials in the construction or repair of buildings in defied areas;
- Advising the Assembly on the sitting of signages and masts to ensure compliance with the decisions of the Assembly;
- Advising on the acquisition of landed property in the public interest; and
- Undertaking street naming, numbering of houses and related Issues.
Acquiring Permit for Development
The process involved in acquiring a building permit differs depending on whether the applicant is putting up a temporary or permanent structure.
The process for each case is outlined below:
Acquring Permit for Permanent Structures
1. Applicant must show proof of the title by picking a land report form from the Physical Planning Department of the Sunyani Municipal Assembly and attach two (2) copies of the site plan for a report from either Land Title Registry or Lands Commission.
2. Applicant must submit four (4) sets of building drawings at the Physical Planning Department.
3. Application must purchase and fill, appropriately, the development permit form / jacket.
4. Applicant must pay the required submission fees at the Revenue Office of the Assembly after a favorable land clearance report.
5. For a three (3) storey – structure and above, applicant must attach a soil test and fire report.
6. For two storey shops or office and above, applicant must attach a fire permit from the Ghana Fire Service.
7. For all commercial and industrial properties e.g. warehouses, factories etc. applicants must attach a fire report and environment permit.
8. For four (4) storey-structure and above, applicant must attach structural analysis.
Acquring Permit for Temporary Structures
1. Applicant must show proof of title to land / space
2. In case of a different owner, owner must give a consent letter of affidavit to be submitted.
3. Applicant is to submit a temporary structure plan showing position of structure, dimensions and type (i.e. metal container or wooden)
1. In all cases, whether permanent building or temporary structures, inspections are to be carried out before permits are issued.
2. In case of any query, applicant will be notified through his or her contact number on the application form.